The Nottingham Brewery is situated at the rear of the Plough Inn, Radford, Nottingham. It is a ten barrel plant that was formerly installed in a Firkin pub in Romford.
The original Nottingham Brewery was located on Mansfield Road, close to where the Victoria Centre is now. The brewery tap, designed by celebrated local architect Watson Fothergill, is still standing, now known as the Rose of England pub. The brewery can be traced back to 1847, when James Long was listed as an ‘East India and Pale Ale Brewer’ on the site.
James Long sold the business in 1875 and after passing through several ownerships it was purchased in 1879 by Edward Wheeler Field. Nottingham Brewery soon established itself as the city’s main brewery, serving fine ales to local citizens from its expanding estate of public houses, including The Plough Inn in Radford. Since the brewery was adjacent to the Victoria Railway Station it was that that was used to access the rail network and send beer all over the world, and in doing so gain international acclaim and awards. Two brand names were particularly well known, ‘Maltanop’ and ‘Rock Ales’.
After its closure by then owners Whitbread after the second world war, the name remained dormant. In 2001 it was resurrected by Philip Darby and Niven Balfour, founders of Bramcote Brewery that later was to become Castle Rock.
Their plan was to carry on the tradition of brewing award-winning ales including Rock Bitter and Rock Mild, a nod to the famous old brand originally named after the sandstone cellars beneath the original brewery which were an ideal storage location.
Both beers are Siba and Camra champions and still have pride of place alongside the rest of the portfolio of ‘Beers to be proud of’.